Premise: Our society has a critical shortage of thinking people. Though most of us seem to believe we are thinking, we may well not be. Do you consider yourself to be a thinking person?
Warning Signs of Non-thinking
1. You have not reconsidered or changed your position on anything of importance for months or even for years.
2. You habitually watch the same television news networks and read the same Internet sources and newspaper columnists.
3. You always go to coffee to meet with the same circle of friends.
4. You have practiced answers for complex issues that you deliver to all who will listen.
5. You do not easily entertain challenges to the way you think. You avoid debating.
Consequences of Non-thinking
1. You feel stress when confronted by those who hold positions that make you uncomfortable.
2. You are lead by others to deal with issues as they instructed you to; you do not evaluate.
3. You become predictable. People know what you are going to say before you say it.
4. You stop questioning yourself.
5. Finally, you become boring to others and may even find yourself to be boring.
Just for fun, pick an item from the long list of important topics that have deeply divided our society. What is your personal position on that topic and how did you get there? What might cause you to change your thinking?
Personal note: I have written two books on thinking. I still find open-minded thinking requires effort on my part. For more, visit www.authorbillramsey.com and consider purchasing “Now That I Think About It” and “What Do You Think?” I would appreciate it.